Wednesday, August 1, 2012

SO INSPIRED (so I'm writing an EXTRA blog post)


This weekend I met with my possible placement teacher for the fall, and she is exactly the teacher I want to be.  She loves using music and art and TECHNOLOGY in a classroom! I just wanted to share with the blogsphere some of the really cool things I took from our meeting and what I'm finding on my own!


First she is doing this really great thing in her class called The Flipped Classroom.  This is technique in which the teacher gives the student work to do at home, online... THEN! The students will come to class the next day, and there will be an activity based on what they should have done, at home.  SO!  The students will do the leraning on their own and it requires the teacher to trust the students, because if they haven't done the lesson, then they won't be able to complete the work in class (there's also away to monitor them actually doing the learning at home, kind of like a screen shot).  My mentor was very excited about this, and she said that her students came to class, and were helping one another, and they successfully completed the assignment, and she in awe at how the students were engaged in the lesson - because they had done their work, and they were using technology.  


Another thing that she does is use this http://www.senorwooly.com/.  This guy, uses his students and posts music videos that other Spanish teachers can use in their classes.  His songs will use the target vocabulary and the target verb tense for each lessons!  My mentor has her students make their own videos too - either songs or skits.  It's such a fun way learn the language!


She also uses a Google phone number for students to practice speaking.  Por ejemplo, the students might be learning how to invite someone to the movies, and they can call and get oral (and authentic) practice with the language.  And she also uses something called Camtasia - but I haven't had the time to research this in more depth, but it seems like a screen recording software, and I'm guessing this is what the students use to verify that they're doing their online portion of the work at home.  


Things that I've been doing online lately:
I made a Pinboard on my Pinterest (if you're not on there and would like an invite, let me know!) where I can find adorable teaching ideas that other teachers have found useful (or adorable).  


And for my research paper about music in second language acquisition, I found this: http://www.songsforteaching.com/index.html.  And look!  There are songs that you can use music in classes OTHER than just languages!
Anyway - I have just been so crazy inspired, and I thought I would share it with y'all :)

Living is like tearing through a museum. Not until later do you really start absorbing what you saw, thinking about it, looking it up in a book, and remembering - because you can't take it in all at once - Audrey Hepburn

9 comments:

  1. And commenting on my own blog already, I had signed up to be part of the Making Curriculum Pop blog, and someone JUST gave me some more suggestions:

    http://mcpopmb.ning.com/group/foreignfilmsfortheclassroom

    http://mcpopmb.ning.com/group/modernlanguagesell

    Loving this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lauren, your mentor teacher sounds kinda awesome (where are you placed btw?) ... Also I really liked your presentation in class today about music and learning a language ... I never thought about it that in depth but it makes a lot of sense ... When I was in school my teacher would make us memorize Arabic poetry (in my Arabic class ... not just randomly haha) and I remember being like what the?? I don't know most of these words! The once we picked up the vocab, I understood the poems a lot more ... what's even better is that I can still recite my favorite ones from class and give a full explanation of what they mean ... i think that not only does music help you learn the material in the first place, but it helps you retain it for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Lauren I just found this and thought you could add it to your pinboard =)

    http://pinterest.com/pin/48202658482427444/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren, it's great to read of your excitement about your placement, your mentor and her practice, and how sympatico the two of your are. I'm also very pleased to see that you jumped into Making Curriculum Pop and found some worthwhile connections and resources. MACer Ryan Goble (who created Making Curriculum Pop) is an amazing guy...maybe we can bring him in for a session of 504 before we're finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Lauren,

    I think it's wonderful how excited you are to be working with a teacher whose ideals aline with yours.

    A few questions about the flipped classroom. First, this is a really exciting idea. Making students accountable for their work is really important. But what do you do if A) the student doesn't have the proper technology at home, B) the student has home issues that prevent them from doing the work like, maybe the student is in a co-habitation situation where she moves from one home to the other and can't always complete her homework because of the transitions, or C) the students experience technical difficulties with their computer or wi-fi, or D) they just forget?

    I understand that it's unlikely they will forget when there is so much pressure to complete the work, but what do you do in the other situations? If the next day's class is contingent upon students completing their homework, if they don't do the work at home they will be even further behind because they can't complete the work in class.

    How might you deal with these kinds of issues?

    ReplyDelete
  6. If the students don't have the technology, the teacher and school do provide them with a laptop for them to do their work! And if for some reason they can't do it before coming to class, she will set them up with the laptops and they will do the lesson while the other students do the activities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I mentioned in class, I have never heard of a Flipped Spanish classroom and am super-excited to hear how it goes!

    Camtasia is great but not free, so if cost matters, maybe try screen-o-matic.com or Jing.com? (PS - you will get screencasting practice when we create webinars in the fall!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are ever so lucky. My father had been talking about the flipped classroom design and perked my curiosity. Has your teacher done this before? You seemed to state something about an experience she had had with the format, but I wasn't sure if this was a test or an actual full year of teaching this way.

    Her use of google phone seems extremely effective. I wish I had done something like this while in Japan. It was just very difficult to gain the support of other teachers to adopt lesson plans that were not specifically stated in the textbook.

    Anyways, enjoy your new wonderful teacher. I wish I had asked my teacher about his usage of technology in the classroom, but I had not even been thinking about such things when I had my interview with him. Keep me posted about how it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is such a cool idea to use Google phone numbers for students to practice their speaking! Speaking skills are one of the most important skills a student should have in this field. I have a question for the flipping class: If the student didn't finish their online homework the former day or they have trouble understanding the homework from the very beginning, what is he/she gonna do the next day? Is there any way to help them out instead of watching them get lost? Your teacher sounds totally cool, good luck!

    ReplyDelete