Friday, July 20, 2012

Lost in Translation


Today in class, as we knew it would, the discussion centered around video games. But not in the way that I would have thought.  Professor J started by having us translate some crazy symbols.  Go ahead - try to do this (from http://stephenfrug.blogspot.com/2011/07/xu-bings-book-from-ground.html)


This is not the exact text that we were given in class, but think about how you would go about reading this.  If you're like me, you'll go strait to the computer and Google this.  And then, when you don't find your answer, you ask for help, figure out what the symbols probably mean and try to translate (and get it nearly right, but not quite). The way I would translate this paragraph would be something along the lines of waking up and getting ready for the day.  


So this task has two useful applications in my mind.  First is an obvious connection to foreign languages.  If I handed this to my students on the first day of class, they would think I was crazy, because it's obviously not Spanish (but as I'm thinking about it right now, it could be read in Spanish...right?); but is it any different from giving a beginner class this? 
They won't know the words, there are probably some symbols like ˜or ´that they are unfamiliar with.  How would I expect them to approach this?  Probably Google, then ask a friend, UNTIL they have learned how to read in Spanish.  Second, this task is kind of like a video game we decided: it's challenging, there's not a lot of risk in translating, worst that can happen is that you get the translation wrong (which I did), and its kinda fun (at least for me). 
So the question comes, how do you implement this in a class?  If someone has suggestions, that would be great!  Otherwise, I will suggest a few more Apps that I would want my students to be using to make their Spanish language learning fun!                                                       
Learn Spanish - MindSnacks (One of the Best Education Apps!)             English Spanish Language Adventure

I don't want to let the other part of today's class go unnoticed, because I had a blast learning how to make my online portfolio!  I'm truly learning things that I find applicable to my everyday life, like Flickr.  How did I not know how to use that before?!  In case anyone would like to see this portfolio it is aquí!

That's it and that's all!

5 comments:

  1. I feel like I need to sit down with you and have you show me all the Apps you know for Ed stuff ... when you responded to my post you had a bunch to suggest and I'm still trying to get over the idea of using technology in the first place!!
    I think what you said about games and learning Spanish is interesting though. I agree that games will definitely make things more fun in class, but do you think they are useful beyond that??
    My husband for instance loves to play Assassin's Creed. I don't know if you know the game or not but basically it's multiple games that center around an assassin in different time periods and important cities. My husband really likes how the makers put a lot of effort into making the games historically accurate and that it shows you what things looked and felt like in the different time periods. But I don't know if that would be enough to use it (or something like it) in class. I want to teach History so it will definitely be helpful in making learning about Ottoman Istanbul more fun but will it increase/improve their learning?? I don't know ... What do you think??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think that gaming can be applied BEYOND a classroom, especially for cultural learning. For example, if you see historical value in Assassin's Creed (I know there is some, I've had friends who played it), then I think that encouraging students to play outside of school is a great idea!

    If Assassin's Creed ever had a version that say, took place during the Spanish Inquisition, I think I would mention it to students who show interest in video games - that way they could learn about what happened during that time period, how the Inquisitors acted and the fear of the victims...

    As far as popular video games to learn a language, however, I'm not sure that things like "Viva Piñata" has any Spanish language value (although it is kind of addicting). And I'm thinking that maybe playing the types of games where you can chat / talk to people while you play could also be of value if you are talking in the other language (although, then you'd have to be careful about online safety and whatnot...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, you might consider using the symbol text to demonstrate to students how we all use common systems and codes to communicate. The worksheet was supposed to show that most humans who have been through similar experiences (such as flying in a plane) can all understand certain emoticons, representations, and symbols even though they don't speak the same language. Some things are consistent in all cultures and languages, they may just not be readily apparent. This understanding may be beneficial as the students learn about other cultures in their language class with you.

    Does that help?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoyed your interplay between self-as-learner and self-as-teacher. Made this a very engaging post to read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey,

    Speaking of games in a Spanish classroom. One game we played was "pizarras arribas" Our teacher gave us all whiteboards and told us a verb and what tense and then we had to conjugate it. We were on teams and he tallied the score. Usually there was some prize. I remember not wanting to let my teammates down so I always gave my best effort. This was pretty much true for all my classmates. For once, I looked forward to something involving the sometimes frustrating process of verb conjugation. We also played "baloncesto" where we would have a family feud style showdown over vocabulary or something and then the winner got to take a shot at the trash can to get an additional point.

    ReplyDelete