Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Recently, New York City has been trying to enact a ban on the sale of soda, that would reach from delis, to cinemas, to fast-food restaurants.  For this course we had to read an article about this soda ban, in which the sited reason for the ban is obesity.   

Okay, so soda... Technology...? How in a class about technology can you relate these two seemingly unrelated topics?  Well, I can foresee two possibilities in a future class.

First.  As a teacher you can relate the ban of soda to the ban of technology in a classroom.  Across the country, phones, laptops, iPads, and so on, are prohibited from being in a classroom - with the argument from administration that the students will focus better on the material at hand (and perhaps that there won't be any desire to contact the outside world while in class...).  But!  If you're like me, you see that there is a benefit to having an iPhone or iPad in class, because the students could be using apps like flashcards or maybe a virtual tour of that weeks Spanish speaking city on a guide book.  And the article presents soda as the sole contributor to obesity (um, no), there are many other factors, just as there are in a student's level of focus.  They could be thinking of that cute boy who said hey to them in the hallway, or the fact that they didn't have breakfast.  So in a future classroom, I think that as a teacher, you could relate the topic of banning something like technology, may not be as beneficial to a classroom environment as the administration might think it is.

Second.  It's actually difficult to find a solid application of this a Spanish class, but here goes.  You could relate the ban of soda to the ban of, let's say, illegal substances in Central America currently.  In an application to technology (as that is the topic of the course) you could have the students research on the internet ways in which bans are working, or more likely, not working in countries like Mexico or Guatemala.  This way, they can build an argument saying why banning soda is a good or bad idea, and they will be learning about current events in the countries that they are studying.  


Everything I learned, I learned from the movies. - Audrey Hepburn

And that's it!  I'm going to try to finish each blog post with either an Audrey Hepburn quote (she's my favorite actress) or an applicable Spanish saying.  Today's, you will note, that I am placing great value on movies.  I mentioned in the last post that I find music very beneficial to learning a second language, and the same can be said for movies, as you learn about a culture in addition to learning the language. 

4 comments:

  1. Lauren! I love this post. I just wrote the ways in which I could relate the ban to teaching and I took a completely different approach, that is, using the actual article itself as reading material in a classroom. So I loved reading yours! It really caused me to think about banning as a topic and got a lot of thoughts running through my head.

    Your first paragraph reminds me to something that happened to my class in middle school. One day, I woke up, came to school, went to homeroom, sat down in my desk, and the teachers told us that we weren't allowed to chew gum anymore during class. Like, what? They told us that our class was having too much of a hard time focusing and so the teachers decided to ban chewing gum from our entire grade. Granted, I can think of a million ways that 7th graders could abuse chewing gum, but the fact of the matter is, there is no way that that one action is keeping everyone as a whole from paying attention. It's like you said, there are so many factors related to a student's focus, that taking away something like technology or gum is not going to make a dent in it. And it's the same with the soda ban, as we pretty much all agreed in class--the issue of obesity is not going to be affected by soda being banned from restaurants. There are still giant hamburgers available all over the place for $1 which is probably going to be a bigger contributor to the problem anyway.

    Your applications with the technology and Spanish class really caused me to think a little bit more on banning as a whole. To what extent does it work? To what extent is it "reasonable"? I started thinking about the big things that were banned, and I guess besides some really heavy drugs that were made illegal, I can't think of a time when banning something extremely common was super useful. (I also might not be thinking super deep currently due to being a little tired from class...) I think what you said about "invoking discussion about banning" in a Spanish class is really awesome. The soda ban is a great article to get students debating back and forth and really analyzing the effect, advantages, and disadvantages of banning and how that is seen throughout the world. Seems to be a good topic for some higher level thinking if you ask me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, I shared Abby's enthusiasm for your post, and I really liked the two very different angles that you came up with to connect to the soda ban, and I think that they both have a lot of potential. I'm old enough to remember when there were (LOTS of) cigarette ads on TV, and I think that there's a fair amount of evidence that this ban was effective and socially valuable. Yet, on the other hand, as both you and Abby state, bans can often appear to be inappropriate or poorly matched with the problem they attempt to address. It might be really cool to think about bans have been seen as successful and those that haven't, and to think about issues like how much time needs to pass (or what else needs to happen) before people either adapt to or get completely exhausted by a ban. [I'll put in a paid commercial endorsement here for Vivian Paley's book "You can't say you can't play" about what happened when her kindergartners had to adapt to a ban on excluding kids from play...a quick and delightful read].
    One last thing...how about the bans on languages other than English, the so-called "English Only" ordinances like the one passed in Dade County, Florida a couple of decades back? Could be a great topic for a Spanish class that would work on multiple levels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am curious to know why Audrey Hepburn is your favorite actress? I know I have seen a movie with her in it. I am trying to think of the name. Was it breakfast at Tiffany’s? I remember her being very elegant. I like old movies. One thing I love about movies from that period are how elegant and sophisticated the women dressed. We are soooo far from that now. Sometimes I wish we could go back to that time – as far as style is concerned. We are such a more casual society these days. I can recall when I was a little girl people used to dress up to go see plays, musicals, opera’s. Now anything goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, Jeff - I think it would be great (well maybe not great, but definitely beneficial) to talk about English-Only bans, because I think it also could tie into a discussion of the Franco-Era language bans in Spain. That way you're getting a little culture, history and language.

    To PHWG, you did see Audrey in Breakfast at Tiffany's (one of my favorite movies, and if I had to bring 5 to a deserted island with me, this film would 100% be one of them). She is my favorite because she has so much class - she was a joy to watch on film and she did so much outside of her career to help those less fortunate. As a teacher, I would like to model myself after Audrey, because she was always professional, and she truly wanted to help others, which is what I would in my life.

    ReplyDelete